[Vm-dev] Proposal to rename all CMakeVMMaker configuratiosn

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 17:53:00 UTC 2011

Hi. The names of the CMMakeVMMaker configurations is a MESS. The
configurations from one OS do not match the ones from another OS, and what
is more, they do not even match for the same OS.

So...I will try to come up with a possible organization. I propose the
following pattern:

GogType-OS-(special)-(Debug)-Config

CogType can be:  CogFamliy (for those abstract classes for all type of
CogVMs), StackVM, CogVM and CogMTVM
OS can be: Unix, Windows (no need the Ms prefix), MacOS and CocoaIOS
Special is optional and can be: NoGL, FixedVerSI, etc.
Debug is optional and only for debug vms.

So...example of how it should be replaced for Unix:

CogUnixConfig -> CogVMUnixConfig
CogDebugUnixConfig -> CogVMUnixDebugConfig
CogUnixNoGLConfig -> CogVMUnixNoGLConfig
MTCogUnixConfig -> CogMTVMUnixConfig
StackInterpreterUnixConfig -> StackVMUnixConfig
StackInterpreterDebugUnixConfig -> StackVMUnixDebugConfig
FixedVerSIDebugUnixConfig -> StackVMUnixFixedVerSIDebugConfig

That was the example for Unix. And the same for the rest of the OS.

If you agree, I don't have the problem to do all the necessary changes in
the CMakeVMMaker package. Someone will need to update Hudson confs, thought.

Maybe the 'Config' should be before the 'Debug', like CogVMUnixConfigDebug

what do you think?

Best regards,

--
Mariano