[Vm-dev] Proposal to rename all CMakeVMMaker configuratiosn

David Graham dgraham at unthinkable.org
Sat Apr 23 00:12:56 UTC 2011

Sorry if this is beyond the scope of the current topic, but having recently ran into issues trying to create a CMakeVMMake config for FreeBSD, I wanted to ask if anyone has considered moving from deep hierarchies to containers for platform targets?

As I mentioned in a previous email, half of the FreeBSD config methods exist only to remove flags and features added in the unix superclasses.  Even the base Unix class (CUnixConfig) has flags specific to Linux using ALSA and a recent Gnu toolchain.  The easy answer would be to move the flags further up into the hierarchy, but considering the overlap of code for platforms (esp. OSX and Unix) and the potential diversity of future platforms (Ubuntu with Wayland and no X11, OSX/BSDs compiled with clang, or even Google's NaCl) left me wondering if working towards a flatter and more flexible model would be worthwhile?