[Vm-dev] Re: Method executing but not sent to the receiver

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 15:51:32 UTC 2011

On 26 April 2011 16:31, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:
>>
>> Say you have Class A:
>> inst vars : one two three
>>
>> and method compiled on it:
>> foo
>> ^one
>>
>> Then you also have Class B:
>> inst vars: three two one
>>
>> Then you do
>> methodFoo := A >> #foo
>> methodFoo executeWithReceiver: B new one: 1; three: 3; yourself arguments:
>> #()
>>
>> It'll return 3, which'll probably confuse those not very familiar with the
>> bytecodes.
>>
>> Or using a class with no instvars, it'll crash in a similar manner to what
>> you get if you currently do:
>> Test methodDictionary at: #foo put: MCPackage >> #packageInfo.
>> Test >> #foo.
>> Test new foo
>
> You see, now I got it :)  I am just slow.
> Thanks Henrik for this example. In fact, it was not even obvious for me until you told me. The "problem" is that the bytecodes to access/set instanceVariables work by position instead of name, no?
> I mean, 'one' is never put in the literals of A >> #foo
>
> Nevertheless, exactly the same happens with #valueWithReceiver:arguments:    so...ok, we have this problem but we also have from before ;)
> right ?
>
> solutions?

I have one for you:
 - eliminate this bogus and unsafe primitive from VM.

I don't really understood why you need this primitive, but as to me it
is an awful hack and can compromise the system safety easily.
You can break encapsulation, expose unwanted state with given
primitive and so-on so-on.
So, instead of fixing it , my proposal is to remove it completely.
Or provide a really strong arguments why such behavior should exist in VM?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.