[Vm-dev] Re: What is exactly the problem when evaluating stuff from Workspace and Cog?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 12:07:50 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <
> henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:
>

>>  On 28.04.2011 13:25, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>

>> No one?  and if I need to intercept this messages inside the VM, is there
>> another special place than the regular #commonSend ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
>> marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi. Sorry for my ignorance, but I remember hearing about that evaluating
>>> stuff from a workspace may not be the best choice when we want to test stuff
>>> on Cog. And in fact, today I suffered that. I put a breakpoint in the method
>>> lookup, where the dnu is thrown. And then from a workspace I executed:
>>>
>>> TestCase new adasdassad
>>>
>>> And didn't stop. Then I put that in a method:
>>>
>>> MyClass >> blah
>>> TestCase new asdadsadasda
>>>
>>> And did MyClass new blah
>>>
>>> and the breakpoint stop....So, can someone explain me what black magic
>>> happens with the Workspace?  is something related to the Compiler evaluation
>>> ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mariano
>>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>>

>> --
>> Mariano
>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>
>>  IIRC, code evaluated by doits is always jitted.
>>

> Ahaaa interesting :)
> Do you know how this is done (internally)? I mean, because it needs to
> scape the normal execution...

What I mean is....at least, the first time it needs to do the method lookup.
Otherwise how he can jitted if he didn't find the compiled method first?
but of course, this can be done in another method and that's why the
breakpoint didn't stop.

thanks