[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker-dtl.246.mcz

squeak-dev-noreply at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev-noreply at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue Aug 9 03:19:02 UTC 2011

Dave Lewis uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker/VMMaker-dtl.246.mcz

Name: VMMaker-dtl.246
Author: dtl
Time: 8 August 2011, 9:18:52 am
UUID: dcb8e607-c16b-4d18-a90c-277507e00c46
Ancestors: VMMaker-dtl.245

VMMaker 4.7.3

Reference Mantis 7653: Profiling and delay accuracy (MessageTally)

Add checkForInterrupts to Interpreter>>primitiveResponse to restore MessageTally behavior, possibly at some cost to performance.

Motivated by Andreas' suggestion <http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2007-June/001410.html>

For follow up discussion please reply to <http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2011-August/009039.html>

Note: I have tried three different approaches to fixing this.

1) Re-apply the logic from Andreas' original version of primitiveResponse (stamped 'ar 2/20/2001). I looked at the old 2001 version and merged that timer check logic into the current primitiveResponse.

2) Add a call to checkForInterrupts in primitiveResponse. This is just adding a 'self checkForInterrupts' before leaving the primitiveResponse method.

3) Add a call to quickCheckForInterrupts in primitiveResponse. Same as above, but call quickCheckForInterrupts, which reduces the number of times that checkForInterrupts gets called.

None of these changes seems to result in significant performance reductions that I could measure. Option 2 (add primitiveResponse) seems to be most beneficial in terms of profiling behavior, so that is the change adopted here.