[Vm-dev] Re: Cog VMMaker.oscog-eem.114/r2485

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 20:55:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> Both these give "You cannot use this version of the application Cog.app
> with this version of Mac OS X." on 10.5.8. It looks like Apple wants to
> force everybody to upgrade... :(

That's odd.  I've been compiling using the 10.5 sdk for a long time and that
hasn't changed.  Here are extracts from my build log:

    setenv HEADER_SEARCH_PATHS
"/Users/eliot/Cog/oscogvm/macbuild/build/Development/include
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon
/Users/eliot/Cog/oscogvm/macbuild"
    setenv PATH_PREFIXES_EXCLUDED_FROM_HEADER_DEPENDENCIES "/usr/include
/usr/local/include /System/Library/Frameworks
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks /Developer/Headers /Developer/SDKs
/Developer/Platforms"
    setenv PLATFORM_DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR /Developer/SDKs
    setenv SDKROOT /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk
    setenv SDK_DIR /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk
    setenv SDK_NAME macosx10.5

I wonder if I recently updated Xcode and that broke things :(

I'll take a look.

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> Eliot Miranda wrote:

>> ------------
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>>    and now http://www.mirandabanda.org/**files/Cog/VM/VM.r2486<http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2486>includes Igor's rule 41 code in the BitBltPlugin, and includes a real
>> multi-threaded linux VM.  The one in r2485 is only single-threaded due to a
>> regression in a build script.
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com<mailto:
>> eliot.miranda at gmail.**com <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>
>>    Hi All,
>>
>>        please find new VMs in
>>    http://www.mirandabanda.org/**files/Cog/VM/VM.r2485/<http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2485/>.
>>  These fix a
>>    couple of long-standing bugs.  One is a rare crash in GC on
>>    copying a compiled method, caused by the VM not making sure that a
>>    copy of a method that has been compiled to machine code is an
>>    independent copy.  The other is a potential bug in GC with become
>>    where a become causes some machine code methods to gain references
>>    to young objects but the VM forgets to include these methods in
>>    the young referrers (those machine code methods that refer to
>>    young objects).
>>    --     best,
>>    Eliot
>>

>> --