[Vm-dev] Install squeak on BSD x64

bronta at rambler.ru bronta at rambler.ru
Sun Aug 28 06:29:55 UTC 2011

Here is my tryings with su:
# squeak -display :0 Squeak4.2-10966.image
CHECKING cogvm
CHECKING squeakvm
No protocol specified
Could not open display `:0'.
# echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
# echo $HOME
/root
# squeak -display :0.0 Squeak4.2-10966.image
CHECKING cogvm
CHECKING squeakvm
No protocol specified
Could not open display `:0.0'.

But suddenly I asked myself. Why su? And I ran it from my common user
console. And It started! I get error window: "Squeak cannot locate the
sources file named /usr/local/lib/squeak/4.4.7-2383/SqueakV41.sources".
But I see the projects window and can work with it. I need to solve
problem with sources file. But this is absolutely another problem.
Hurray! Finally we did it! Thanks to everybody! I did not expect to get
so friendly supporting and help!

Let us make summary of my question (Installing Squeak vm on my platform:
FreeBSD 8.2 x64). Ian Piumarta gave the link to tar.gz file with
compiled version for my platform. I see a lot of files for different
platforms in that location: http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/
What kind of place is it? Who builds this packages?
It is a good place to look for certain compiled vm for anybody. I think
next time (for example when I will upgrade to FreeBSD 9.0) I will visit
this folder first and search necessary package there.

* Ian Piumarta <piumarta at speakeasy.net> [Sat, 27 Aug 2011 12:34:54
-0700]: