[Vm-dev] Weird problem when adding a method to StackInterpreter

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 02:08:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> add additional optimizations as time passes ;)
>>

> Thanks Eliot. Much clear now. I understand. Indeed, I was looking at
> SimpleStackBasedCogit when I wrote that ;)
>

>> So in summary, the old simple JIT did nothing special, compiling the
>> special selectors to normal sends, the new JIT does some simple inlining,
>> just for SmallIntegers.
>>
>> I think this has no implications for your tracing code.  You're unlikely
>> to unload the SmallIntegers and so you don't need to trace them.
>>

> Exactly. I don't care at all to trace SmallIntegers. Even if I wanted, I
> cannot right now because they are immediate objects and I am using a bit in
> the object header to store the mark.
>

>>  Instead, I would try and define the abstract semantic model for
>> Smalltalk and come up with the minimal set of trace points.  For example,
>> for any non-immediate object not created as a side-effect of execution (by
>> which I mean contexts, blocks and indirection vectors for closed-over
>> variables) it can only be accessed via a send.  So it seems to me that the
>> only six places in the VM you need to trace objects are sends in the
>> interpreter, sends in jitted code, and the inlining of #class & #== in the
>> interpreter and jitted code.
>>

> I think that if you only want to trace when an object receives a message,
> then you could be right. In my particular case, I need to go a little bit
> further: i need to trace when an object receives a message or when it is
> "directly used by the VM". For example, if I send a message to anObject
> instance of MyClass, I would like to trace its class, its method
> dictionary, its compiled method, and all the involved classes/methodDict in
> the lookup (assuming it was a hard lookup). In this case, those objects
> (classes, methodDict and compiledMethod) do not receive any message, but
> instead they are used by the VM. Since I am tracing object usage to then
> decide whether to swap them out or not, this is important. This was just an
> example.
>

>>  For performance, you could inline the bit test on the receiver in jitted
>> code either into each method's prolog or into the ceTraceLinkedSend
>> trampoline, avoiding going to C on every send, which kills performance.
>>

> mmmm interesting. I am not sure how to start with this. Any deeper hint?
> an example to take a look?  :)   My methods are so far
>
> traceObjectUsage: anOop
>     ((self isIntegerObject: anOop) not and: [hasToTrace])
>         ifTrue: [
>             objectMemory setExperimentalBitOf: anOop to: true.
>             ]
>

> setExperimentalBitOf: anOop to: boolean
>     | hdr |
>     self inline: true.
>     "Dont check here if it is integer. Check in the sender of this."
>     hdr := self baseHeader: anOop.
>     boolean
>         ifTrue: [ self baseHeader: anOop put: (hdr bitOr:
> ExperimentalObjectBit). ]
>         ifFalse: [ self baseHeader: anOop put: (hdr bitAnd:

Look at CogObjectRepresentationForSqueakV3's methods.  There are numerous
examples of fetching values from an object's header, and some methods that
store fields.  There are no examples that set bits in the object header,
but it's not that hard.

> But given that the stack vm and the cog vm are semantically equivalent do
>>>>

>>> Indeed :)
>>> Thanks for going beyond my questions. For this thing I am doing (I call
>>> it ObjectUsageTracer) we have so far 2 users:
>>> - Luc is trying to do boostrap/kernel. In such scenario he can PERFECTLY
>>> use the StackVM since the computation of used/unused objects is mostly done
>>> once and then such information is used.
>>> - In Marea (what I am doing for my PhD), I want to dynamically detect
>>> unused objects, swap them out and replace them by proxies. It means that
>>> the system needs detecting these unused objects all the time. It is not
>>> something I just do once. Anyway, I could use the StackVM, no problem.
>>> But....with Cog I can improve the performance of my solution hehehhe. So I
>>> wanted to give it a try and see if I could make the ObjectUsageTracer work
>>> in Cog. So far it is working more or less good and I only found the problem
>>> of #class and #==. And I am not even sure if that's a problem in my case (I
>>> need to think a little bit about it).
>>>

>> Think about the abstract semantics.  How can an object be used?
>>  Encapsulation is your friend.
>>

> Not sure if I understood. You mean intercepting bytecodes for variable
> accessing rather than message received?

The only access to an object is either if it is the receiver of a message
or if it is passed as an argument of a primitive that accesses the state of
its arguments/sends a message to its arguments, etc.  So as far as the
execution machinery you only need to trace message sends.  Certain
primitives need special consideration (perform:, the mirror primitives).