[Vm-dev] [ANN] New Cocoa Squeak VM release

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 20:43:25 UTC 2011

El 02/02/2011, a las 3:35p.m., Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> Could you make "Smalltalk vmVersion" return that too? This is what John's VM answered:

oops... I'll do that

> IMHO, the "dangerous" plugins which allow calling native code should not be internal, so they can easily be removed:
>
> FFIPlugin
> NewsqueakIA32ABIPlugin
> ObjectiveCPlugin

I dunno, they are really necessary for doing "modern" programming this days... but I'll take a look :)
Anyway, soon or latter we will need to adopt *one* FFI approach, there is no sense in maintain two plugins (or three) with the same purpose.

> Also, the interpreter VMs used to bundle quite a lot of plugins. Is there a reason you left them out?

yes... right now I'm just continuing John's work... the 5.x series (cocoa squeak vm) lacks a lot of plugins compiled for it (in fact almost all of them). It's in my agenda compile the plugins, but I'm still assuming the role, and not a lot of time, you know. But they will be there, some time :)

best,
Esteban