[Vm-dev] MIT license info

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Feb 6 22:31:55 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 09:57:29AM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     thans to whoever changed the front page of .  The date-based list is
> much mire useful than the SqueakSource-computed latest versions.  But I see
> "Currently the 'license' setting on SqueakSource is 'none'. That is because
> I do not currently have explicit word from everyone that has contributed
> code that I can tag the package as MIT. If you have contributed code to the
> VM or related tools, please email me ASAP" on the page and no mention of who
> "I" is and no email address :)  Perhaps whoever "I" is could add that info
> and I'll comply asap :)

Eliot,

If you are referring to the project page for VMMaker on SqueakSource,
the person who wrote that is Tim Rowledge. Tim delegated the project
admin role to me several years ago, and I have not modified the text
of his intro message in the intervening years.

Everything newly contributed to the VMMaker project on SqueakSource
is required to be MIT licensed, and all of the folks with commit rights
to the project understand this. Tim's comment refers to the the earlier
code base, which in some cases may contain code for which licenses were
not clearly documented. It would be a good idea to better document the
licensing for all of this early code, but I expect that this may be
a substantial amount of work and I for one am not volunteering to take
it on.