New numbers! (was Re: [Vm-dev] Squeak vs Python "smack down")

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Feb 9 09:06:00 UTC 2011

On 02/09/2011 09:01 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 09.02.2011, at 01:50, Göran Krampe<goran at krampe.se>  wrote:
>
>   Shedskin can only run a subset of
>>> Python.
>>
>> Shedskin = 3.68 x Cog
>
> A Slang version would be the equivalent of this, right?
>
> - Bert -

Mmmm, well, Shedskin takes Python source as input, does type inference
and produces C++ source, then compiled as normal. But yes, it is a
restricted Python, but AFAICT not at all as restricted as Slang.

So I wouldn't say Slang is really fair - being C in disguise :)

BUT... Unladen Swallow and IronPython might be interesting to test too.
Unladen has a goal of being at least 5x faster than CPython, which in
the light of Cog seems like a rather modest goal. AFAIK it is not fast
at all right now though.

Still, as we all know - Python *is* and probably always will be
*CPython* - all other implementations will be "imitations" with limited
auidences. Now I note there is a py3k-jit branch, but someone mentioned
that it hasn't moved in 7 months.

Pypy is probably the only project that possibly could step in and
"become" a next generation platform for Python - or what do you guys
that have more insight into the Python community than I do?

regards, Göran