[Vm-dev] Linux Cog VM crash

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 10 02:31:06 UTC 2011

There is a long standing bug that affects some Linux libuuid
libraries:

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358

The previous round of VMs worked around the bug by building
the UUID plugin internally, which for reasons that I cannot
explain seems to prevent the crashes on affected systems.

However, since that time, some 64-bit Linux distributions
have a different bug: libuuid is missing from their 32-bit
runtime libraries. This means that the VM will not run on
those platforms if UUIDPlugin is built internally.

Because of bug #2, the UUIDPlugin is now being build externally
again, which makes bug #1 visible as before.

As a result, we can expect the libuuid bug to bite people more
frequently now. The workaround is to either delete the plugin,
or comment out the primitive call in UUID>>primMakeUUID.

Dave