[Vm-dev] Marvin and Cog

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 21:00:11 UTC 2011

Hi Casey,

On 17 February 2011 19:54, Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> Frankly there are some things I'd drop from Self and keep from Squeak.

what would those be?

> The approach I've seen wherein one has a class for every object bugs me somewhat in that it can confuse the hell out of the next programmer, who is likely expecting regular class oriented behavior whilst sitting in front of a class based system. This has been an issue in my work life with Ruby's "eigenclasses" which are pretty much that.

Self has clone families, and I believe some of the JavaScript VMs
adopted that concept (V8?).

Also, are you aware of the Id model and implementation?
http://piumarta.com/software/cola/

> I'd like to experiment with a prototypal model of my own instead, and am looking to scope the challenge. Any advice will be met warmly!

Id and the entire ecosystem stacked on top is fun to look at and
experiment with. Maybe it can inspire you? :-)

Best,

Michael