[Vm-dev] what about image reading?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu Jan 13 16:26:34 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I'm just getting grips on the squeak image format and
I am trying to make sense of the "512 bytes padding" possibility.
  In a previous discussion, the method
Interpreter>>readImageFromFile: f HeapSize: desiredHeapSize StartingAt: imageOffset
was mentioned that can read the image format using the given offset.
However, neither in the Smalltalk code nor in the generated C code I was able
to find any uses of this.

SqueakVMMaker/src ✔ grep -iR readImageFromFileHeapSizeStartingAt *
vm/interp.c:sqInt readImageFromFileHeapSizeStartingAt(sqImageFile  f, usqInt desiredHeapSize, squeakFileOffsetType  imageOffset);
vm/interp.c:sqInt readImageFromFileHeapSizeStartingAt(sqImageFile  f, usqInt desiredHeapSize, squeakFileOffsetType  imageOffset) {

Is this by design? Did I miss something?

So Long,
	-Tobias