[Vm-dev] Official VM missing MPEGPlugin

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 18:11:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:59:47AM -0500, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> >
> > Cog VM includes the MPEGPlugin, but the interpreter VM from
> > http://ftp.squeak.org/4.1/
> > does not. It's needed by Cobalt.
>
> Well I'm stumped. The plugin exists and is installed in the normal
> place. But it is not being loaded when called from #primFileValidMPEG:.
> There are no errors (e.g. unresolved symbols etc) and no problems
> compiling, we are just not finding the plugin at runtime.
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I can't spot it.

I suspect it's not obvious and I'd be willing to bet there /is/ an undefined
symbol in the plugin.  It won't show on the compiler command line unless you
compile carefully, since the compiler does allow undefined symbols, a
side-efeft of the default global namespace.  If the program into which a
shared library is loaded has already loaded some other shared library that
defines undefined in that first shared library the first shared library will
get its definition from the other.  So remake the plugin, capturing the link
step, and then manually repeat the link step supplying
"-Wl,--warn-unresolved-symbols -Wl,--no-allow-shlib-undefined" and hopefully
you'll be informed of the undefined symbols.

HTH
Eliot