[Vm-dev] Cog crash

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 20:17:06 UTC 2011

Hi, when running the standard image test-suite in latest trunk image
under the Linux Cog VM (VM.r2348), I came back to discover the VM had
crashed.  In the console was:

sound_Start(default)
soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented
sound_Start(default)
soundStart: snd_add_pcm_handler: Function not implemented

[1]+  I/O possible            squeak Squeak4.2-10892-beta.image

There did not appear to be any stack trace information, sorry.  Also,
I don't know for sure that the messages above were related to the
cause of the VM crash or not, but I think they are.

A little searching turns up:

    http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7328

but when I try to launch with the OSS sound option the VM reports:

    "could not find module vm-sound-OSS"

and core dumps immediately.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.  Is this a VM problem or perhaps  need to
install an additional Linux package?

Thanks,
  Chris