[Vm-dev] "small" proposal for platform code in the upcoming VMs

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 22:10:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 January 2011 21:18, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >     one C coding convention I think is extremely useful for finding
> definitions is to always put the name of a function (not its forward
> declaration but its definition) on a newline, so that instead of writing e.g
> > static void recordKeyboardEventCarbon(EventRef event) {
> > you write
> > static void
> > recordKeyboardEventCarbon(EventRef event) {
> > This makes it really easy to find the sole definition in text editors and
> using grep etc.
>
> grep recordKeyboardEventCarbon.*\{$
>
> will find anything that having { in the end, so it will skip the
> declarations.. (as well as definitions if curly brace are on next line
> :)

This gets confused by

      if (myFunction(blah)) {

and doesn't work in a text editor.

> > If people feel they could live with this convention could I be allowed to
> make this change throughout the platform code base after code freeze and
> before the release so that this convention will be available to us all in
> the future?
>
> yeah it's a pain to find the definition using grep.. A good C/C++ IDE
> helps a lot in this regard..

and which should one use across Mac OS X, Win32 and Linux?  A simple
cross-platform convention means not having to choose.

> unfortunately not all platforms having decent IDEs.. (Xcode is a piece
> of shit ;) ).

It has its place; it has its limitations, as do they all.  Hence my
motivation for a really simple IDE-independent cross-platform scheme for
finding definitions.

currently i using things like this: