[Vm-dev] "small" proposal for platform code in the upcoming VMs

Alexander Lazarević laza at blobworks.com
Wed Jan 19 22:13:23 UTC 2011

2011/1/19 Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>

> yeah it's a pain to find the definition using grep.. A good C/C++ IDE
> helps a lot in this regard..
> unfortunately not all platforms having decent IDEs.. (Xcode is a piece
> of shit ;) ).
> currently i using things like this:
>
> find -type f | xargs grep fooo
>
> where foo is my search string/pattern :)

I can recommend etags and emacs in this regard.

# create the TAGS file at the root of the platforms code
rm -f TAGS
find platforms -type f -iname "*.[ch]" -exec etags --append {} \;

# Start with a file you want to examine
emacs platforms/unix/src/vm/interp.c

Now place the cursor on any function/macro/struct/... you want to look up
the definition and type M-. (find-tag)
(Doing this the first time you have to say that you want to use above
created TAG file) and it will
jump to the file and definition. There are also other commands that will
jump to every use of a function etc.

Alex

PS: There is emacs for macs and windoze
PPS: There are rumors that there is something similar as etags for another
editor called vi
PPPS: Xcode can't be worse than VisualStudio