[Vm-dev] Sounds baaad sounds

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 20:08:41 UTC 2011

On 31 January 2011 19:21, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 1/31/2011 4:40 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> Funny thing ..
>> Sound package contains a code, which used by VMMaker for generating
>> sound plugin..
>>
>> which means that depending on the hacks and on forks (Pharo having
>> different Sound package version than Squeak),
>> you will end up with different VMs..
>> Sounds cool yeah? :)
>
> Huh? Are you saying that Pharo contains different primitives than Squeak? If
> not, I somewhat fail to see the problem.

I don't feel ok knowing that VM depends on right combination of
classes in Sound package,
since there is no clear separation between plugin and language side
implementation.

Pharo could diverge to the point that it could not load a Squeak's
Sound package anymore.
So, it won't be able to load VMMaker or even if it do, then generated
VM code will be different
depending on image you using.
What i want to achieve is to make VMMaker be image agnostic, so it
could be loaded cleanly
into any image and produce same code as it was years ago using different image.
With things like Sound package its not possible, since they are
integral part of image, and not separated
on VM and language side implementations.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.