[Vm-dev] new Cog VMs available

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jul 14 07:45:29 UTC 2011

On 13.07.2011, at 22:56, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     find new Cog VMs in http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2459/.  These have functional ALien callbacks.  Previous VMs had buggy code that could easily crash when heavily stressed, as discovered with Vassili Bykov's native Hopscotch UI in Newspeak on Win32.

Hi Eliot,

do you keep a continuous changelog somewhere for your releases? It would be nice to include that in the VM.

Also, your Mac VM bundles always have the same version number which is somewhat inconvenient. Would be nice to splice the release version into Info.plist.

While I'm in nitpicking mode: CFBundleVersion is recommended to be a simple integer, incremented for each bundle release - your "2459" might serve fine. This is not shown in the UI. The Finder shows CFBundleShortVersionString and the Get Info dialog shows CFBundleGetInfoString. Both of these are free-form as far as OS X is concerned, you can put anything you want in there. "Smalltalk vmVersion" includes CFBundleShortVersionString so there may be users expecting a certain format.

Your current CFBundleGetInfoString has a link to a "boutique web design" company. I'm almost certain that's not what you wanted to put in there.

In other words: Thanks for the new release ;)

- Bert -