[Vm-dev] new Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 16:27:51 UTC 2011

Hi Bert,

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On 13.07.2011, at 22:56, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> >     find new Cog VMs in http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2459/.  These have functional ALien callbacks.  Previous VMs had buggy code that could easily crash when heavily stressed, as discovered with Vassili Bykov's native Hopscotch UI in Newspeak on Win32.
>
> Hi Eliot,
>
> do you keep a continuous changelog somewhere for your releases? It would be nice to include that in the VM.
>
> Also, your Mac VM bundles always have the same version number which is somewhat inconvenient. Would be nice to splice the release version into Info.plist.

I think I've found what's required:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/206183/how-can-i-force-subversion-to-commit-an-unchanged-file
In particular

If you want the file contents to remain unchanged you can always
change one of the properties on the file.

eg.

svn propset dummyproperty 1 yourfile

hence "Use Case: A file (config, xml, etc.) is chosen as a canonical
version beacon for other apps. It indicates that "the code queried
represents version rXYZ in SVN". Using SVN's macros on commit ("$Rev:
xxxxx $") would be ideal for these purposes, provided SVN would deign
to update an unchanged file. – pcorcoran"

So I can now force a change to each Info.plist file and embed the Rev
property.  I can also embed the Rev property in relevant .c or .h
files to cause the Rev property to show in the relevant VM version
strings.

And I can fire off the svn propset via a precommit hook.  What I can't
do is make this corss-platform.  It'll work on unixes but fall flat on
e.g. Windows wirth TortoiseSVN.  Unless anyone knows better.  If so,
let me know.

--
best,
Eliot