[Vm-dev] adding external plugins to Squeak 4.2 on the Mac

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 03:46:01 UTC 2011

On 17 July 2011 06:11, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

> Hi--
>
>     I'm adapting the Spoon remote-browsing support for Squeak 4.2. I
> use an external plugin (Flow). On the Mac, if I build a stock 4.2 VM
> myself and add my Flow bundle to the Resources folder, it works. If I
> add the Flow bundle to the Resource folder of the offically-built VM, it
> doesn't work. Is the released VM binary expecting external plugin
> bundles to be special in some way?

do you rename you plugin? because if i remember correctly there's a
check that module name (compiled into a plugin)
should be same as library file name. Otherwise VM refuses to use it.

>     Looking at the other bundles that are included with the release VM,
> all I notice is that they are universal binaries (the executable files
> start with 0xCAFEBABE). I'm building the Flow bundle with Xcode 4, which
> apparently no longer supports universal binaries by default (so I'm just
> making a Mach-o i386 bundle). Is this a problem? (That would be weird,
> for the VM to want a plugin to have code for an architecture other than
> the current one.)

no i don't think that it requires universal one.

>     The minimal Spoon object memory requires a special VM, but I'd
> rather not make Squeak 4.2 memories that are browsing it have to use a
> special VM (just the Flow plugin).

And again, problem with loading plugins is pain in the ass. We should
create an interface where language side
could instruct VM to load modules explicitly with good error reporting
(if plugin cannot be loaded).
Because currently it is always like that: sometimes works, sometimes
dont and you don't have a clue why.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.