[Vm-dev] AMD64 VM on FreeBSD?

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Mon Jun 6 18:39:28 UTC 2011

On Jun 6, 2011, at 7:45 PM, David Graham wrote:

> Hi Lawson,
>
> Since you mentioned you're running a server... I have a prebuilt CogVM
> binary on my website, which will work on FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 with one
> major caveat, no X11 support.  I'm developing a web service, so this
> hasn't been an issue for me.  The binary seems to work fine on a 64bit
> host when you pass the -nodisplay flag (I put RFBServer into my image
> so I can pull up the GUI when needed).  Since X11 works just fine on
> 32bit FreeBSD systems, using X over ssh in a 32bit jail would be
> another route.
>
> I did a few quick experiments, but haven't had time to figure out how
> to get Cog fully working on 64bit FreeBSD.  Building on a 32bit system
> creates plugin library path issues for the 64bit host.  I also tried
> to build the 32bit binary on a 64bit host, but ran into issues with
> the default gcc 4.2.
>
> Binaries are at www.unthinkable.or/dl/ I'll post the latest rev in a
> couple days.  As Levente pointed out, you will need to install the
> 32bit compatibility libraries from base.

Thank you David. Yes, we use it for hosting websites too.

I did use sysinstall, did post-install configuration of FreeBSD,
installed additional distribution sets, then i did  32-bit runtime
compatibility libraries. It did install a lot of stuf, including in
/usr/lib32
Finally I did: ldconfig -32 /usr/lib32. I also checked the /etc/rc.conf
and the /defaults/etc/rc.conf settings to see if the 32 libraries were
in the paths.

Is that what you meant with "install the 32bit compatibility libraries
from base" ?

I had tested you older version cogvm-2373-freebsd-i386 befor, and tried
the new one tooe\, but like all vm's it is not working.
I have a new error now,  truncated ELF file. And then again the ELF
interprete error i had before:

elf_load_section: truncated ELF file
ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Abort

Thanks for the help.

Lawson