[Vm-dev] Re: OSProcess

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jun 11 13:53:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 06:46:33AM -0700, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > Yes... the Mantis bug tracker at <http://bugs.squeak.org>
> >

> Thanks, Dave. I filed bugs for OSProcess on all three Mac VMs:
> * Squeak 4.2.5beta1U http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7644
> * Squeak 5.7.4.1 http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7645
> * Cog 5.8b12 http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7646

Hi Sean,

I borrowed a Mac yesterday and was able to resolve the hanging
tests problem that you reported in Mantis 7645 "OSProcess tests
hang on Mac Cocoa VM (5.7.4.1)". I also fixed or worked around
a number of other issues in the tests related to differences
between OS X and other unixes.

If you update your OSProcess and CommandShell packages from
SqueakSource, the tests for both packages should now run to
completion. I was working with a Squeak image, so if you can
also confirm this on your Pharo image I'd appreciate the
feedback.

I updated the Mantis <http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7645>
as follows:

   This was caused by improper handling of #forkSqueak failures in
   OSProcess. I have updated both OSProcess and CommandShell to resolve
   this and a number of other problems with the unit tests when running
   on OS X. With these updates, you should expect all tests to run to
   completion, and you should expect numerous test errors and failures
   associated with all of the tests that rely on #forkSqueak for
   interprocess testing (e.g. testing file locks by forking another
   Squeak to interact with the parent).

   Note that #forkSqueak and XDisplayControlPlugin are not supported
   for the Mac VM, and I have no plans to change this. At this time,
   #forkSqueak is expected to work correctly *only* on the Unix
   standard interpreter VM.

Thanks,