[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] 11 June Building report (2)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 16:36:16 UTC 2011

> The .map file contains the addresses of all functions in the WIndows VM.  The VM uses this file to annotate its C stack backtrace when it crashes.  If you look in the cogwin.zip files I produce on my site you'll see there is always a Croquet.map file with every Croquet.exe.  So do keep the two together and deploy with the map file if you want good stack backtraces from Cog VMs on Windows.

Thanks for the explanation.  One mini-issue I bump up against on
Windows is the name of the executable.  I can set up file-association
for .image to associate to squeak.exe (for the interpreter VM) or
Croquet.exe for Cog.

I ended up associating to squeak.exe and renaming Croquet.exe,
Croquet.ini, and Croquet.map to squeak.exe, squeak.ini and squeak.map.
 Everything seems to run fine, but will the map file work in this case
or do you see any other potential problems about doing this?

 - Chris