[Vm-dev] Re: Cog JIT crashing

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 19:00:24 UTC 2011

On 30 June 2011 21:24, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Igor,
>     the problem is some bug in the Slang inliner that causes bad code to be
> generated (if inlining is done in the Cogit).  Previously inlining for the
> Cogit was disabled (Cogit class>>doInlining).  But with the Newspeak changes
> I needed inlining to be applied selectively so
> that offsetAndSendTableFor:annotation:into: would be inlined (it uses a
> block idiom to return multiple values and so must be inlined to be easily
> converted to C).  So I changed the Cogit's inlining policy to #asSpecified
> and that introduced the regression; where I don't know.  If I hack it so
> that *only* offsetAndSendTableFor:annotation:into: gets inlined then I can
> successfully run the TestRunner in a trunk Squeak 4.2 image, and if I don't
> it soon dies horribly.  It'll take some time to track down the inlining bug.
>  If you're interested in looking for it then great.  If not, the attached
> hack will get you going.

Yes, i think i will proceed with this hack, because i want to check
that there are no other problems.
As you can see, a recent update uncovered quite a number of
bugs/regressions. Most of them are discovered by mr. Hudson, so we
should say thank to him :)
I want to have Hudson building stable VMs, so we could run a tests for
them , and of coure i want people to try them out.

Apart of it, there's many other things to fix (Freetype plugin,
osprocess plugin , windows stack vm etc).
Cocoa VMs also are broken now and need to be fixed.
So i cannot afford right now burying into code generator :(

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.