[Vm-dev] changing the bytecodes print

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 21:59:48 UTC 2011

2011/3/8 Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu>:

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> The bytecode number here is printed in <hex> . However, in Interpreter
>
> and its #initializeBytecodeTable  they use base 10. So, each time I read a
> bytecode, and I want to know which is the method associated with that, I need to convert it.
>
> When I started programming, most programmers could convert a single byte between binary, decimal and hexadecimal. If you're into low level programming (e.g. VM), then you'll acquire this skill in no time IMHO.
>

> Levente

Mariano,
Quite sure you'll discover that one of your grand fathers could
program a machine directly by inputing some octal codes ;)
That does not tell however whether we have to do so in Smalltalk...
I would tend to prefer a power of two base because bytes codes are
designed as a bit pattern.
But changing the whole interpreter to use hex code is not a
lightweight change...
Sorry to not help.

Nicolas