[Vm-dev] Failed to build FloatMathPlugin on FreeBSD

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Mar 10 20:12:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 09:27:23AM -0800, Gary Dunn wrote:

> I am setting up to try to add DBus support to the vm. Decided it was
> time to practice building an unmodified vm. Downloaded sources for
> 4.4.7.2357. I have been running Squeak with 3.11.3.2135 and that seems
> to work fine.
>
> make stopped with
>
> [ 10%] Building C object
> FloatMathPlugin/CMakeFiles/FloatMathPlugin.dir/usr/home/gary/OpenSlate/Squeak/Squeak-4.4.7.2357-src/unix/src/vm/intplugins/FloatMathPlugin/FloatMathPlugin.c.o
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mno-fused-madd"
> *** Error code 1
>
> I was able to make squeak
>
> This is a slightly old version of FreeBSD:
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD slate01 8.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2 #0: Thu Jan 28
> 06:16:14 HST 2010     gary at slate01:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Hi Gary,

Apparently the -mno-fused-madd option is supported only on newer gcc compilers.
As a workaround, look at platforms/unix/plugins/FloatMathPlugin/config.cmake
and edit it out. Clean out your build directory, then run configure and you
should be back in business. This will not effect the behavior of your plugin,
at least not in any way that will be detected by the test suite.

There was some earlier discussion of this on the list. I suspect that the
-mno-fused-madd compiler option is completely unnecessary, although I don't
know for certain if this is the case.

Can any of our numeric gurus confirm if it is safe to just get rid of this
compiler option for all platforms? It seems to have no effect that can be
detected by the unit tests.

Earlier discussion was here:
  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2011-January/006672.html

Dave