[Vm-dev] VM Automated builds update

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:47:27 UTC 2011

On 15 March 2011 16:35, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

>>> If someone could adopt it , then why not.
>>> I simply don't have time for it. Sorry :(
>>>
>>> We decided to go with Stack and JIT Cog into future, and leave old VM
>>> behind.
>>> It is too much time and energy to maintain 3 different VMs on 3+
>>> different platforms.
>>
>> if not maintain, then how about build a final release to say
>> goodbye to the platform? We're stuck running
>
> Note that Igor is a paid Pharo developer, he's talking about Pharo's
> decision. Squeak developers plan to support the interpreter VMs for a while
> to give people more time for the transition to CogVM (which as you already
> noticed doesn't have all the features of SqueakVM yet).

Yes.
Stack-based VMs are very close to old Squeak VM. And i don't expect
much pain in transition (there is some plugins which is broken, but
most of them functional).
The problem was (and with Hudson is now fixed) that nobody cared to
build Stack VMs and make them public,
so people could try and see if it works for them.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.