[Vm-dev] VM Automated builds update

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 20:22:27 UTC 2011

On 15 March 2011 17:35, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2011, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>

>>> The main functional differences between SqueakVM and StackVM are:
>>> - StackVM requires 6505 images (maybe 6504, i'm not sure) while SqueakVM
>>> can
>>> execute 6502, 6504 and 6505 images.
>>
>> not a big deal. I think everyone aware that Cog using newer image
>> version(s).
>
> Not a big deal, for you.
>
> Someone just mentioned, that they're using 3.10-4 VM on Solaris, so they
> don't use newer image versions. We also have some Squeak 3.9 images deployed
> and we're not planning to upgrade them yet. The latest Etoys and Cobalt
> releases use the old image format.

Well, if people decided to stick with old images, it is their choice.
And once they decide to migrate,
then there is a way to do that. I see nothing complicated there.

Either you stay with old MS-DOS, and run your application using DosBox , or
you run it on x64 compiled using modern compiler. The choice is always yours :)

>>> - StackVM's plugins (same for Cog) lack fixes compared to SqueakVM. For
>>> example SoundPlugin doesn't work at all on Windows, SocketPlugin lacks
>>> the
>>> IPv6 changes on all platforms, etc
>>>

>> So, someone has to diff & port them..
>
> Oh, thanks for the info, I thought they will merge themselves automagically.

I meant that we should address that in future. If these fixes were so
important, then old VMs would be built once fixes
available, but not once per year.
I also don't like losing important fixes. But first things first.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.