[Vm-dev] Cog/JIT/Stack/VM .. executable names

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 04:45:22 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> there is an explosion of different kinds of VM we're building today..
>> and i think it would be nice to use different names for them.
>>

> Sounds good.
>

>  Currently i am using following naming scheme:
>>
>> - VMs based on StackInterpreter:
>>  StackVM
>>
>> - VMs with JIT
>>  Cog
>>
>> - VMs with JIT + MT
>>  CogMT
>>
>> i am open for suggestions of giving better/proper names.
>>

> What about sticking VM to the end of each of them? Like here:
> StackVM, CogVM, CogMTVM, and InterpreterVM

I like the VM suffix.  But what would really float my boat would be if
InterpreterVM was called ContextVM.  Taking Igor's list anew

-Interpreted VMs using contexts based on Interpreter
  ContextVM

- Interpreted VMs using a stack organization based on StackInterpreter:
 StackVM

- Co-Interpreter+JIT VMs using a stack organization based on CoInterpreter:
 CogVM

- Co-Interpreter+JIT VMs using a stack organization and with multi-threading
FFI support based on CoInterpreterMT
 CogMTVM