[Vm-dev] Cog/JIT/Stack/VM .. executable names

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:15:36 UTC 2011

Well... I need to make a paraphrasis of one of my childhood heroes here: "I fight for the users!" :)

I think so much names and versions are misleading for end users (of course, it is useful for us)... but I think end users will have a hard travel if we start to rename everything.
I think all the new vms are "Cog", not matter if stack, jit, or jit-mt. More important: jit-mt is the evolution of jit version, so nobody will use the older once mt is tested enough.

So, I rather name the vms:

Cog Stack (or something more appealing for end users like "Cog Universal")
Cog 1.0
Cog 2.0

... or something like that

(I know, I'm minority in this, but I needed to express my point of view, just for the record :) )

best,
Esteban