[Vm-dev] VMMaker branching

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Mar 22 21:30:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:43:39PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 20 March 2011 12:37, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> >> Well, i am actually used different naming for oscog branch
> >> (VMMaker-<name>-oscog).
> >> And MC lists it as a separate package.
> >
> > Because the MC UI treats everything up to the last hyphen as package name (it does not look inside for the actual package name). If you named it e.g. VMMaker-<name>_oscog then it would be listed as the same package.
> >

> Yes, but i don't want it to be same, so its not lost in a list of
> Squeak (non-Cog) VMMaker packages.

If multiple people are going to be committing to the oscog branch,
then I think that Matthew is pointing us in a good direction. Just
to try it out, I made a local repository on my own hard drive, and
copied all of the cog MCZs into it from SqueakSource. It is simple
(though a bit tedious) to set up a repository like this on SqueakSource
such that we would have two companion VMMaker repositories while
working through the code merge. It does look to me like it this
organization would make it easier to keep track of things, and I
will be happy to set it up if you (Eliot and Igor especially) agree
it is the right thing to do.

So let me ask a couple of questions:

- Eliot, are you happy to have other people commit MCZ updates for
the oscog branch? In particular, is it OK if I do that?

- Are you comfortable working with two repositories as opposed to
keeping both branches in one repository as currently set up?

If yes to both, then I will volunteer to set up the SqueakSource
project to do this. After it is set up, we can turn on email commit
notifications so that it will work exactly like the current VMMaker
project. Assuming that we successfully accomplish the merge, we
can move things back into one repository at a later date.