[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-users] Get "Invalid utf8 input detected" error for a filename

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Thu Mar 24 18:37:18 UTC 2011

Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 24 March 2011 16:53, Henrik Johansen
> <henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:
> >

> > On Mar 24, 2011, at 4:15 26PM, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have similar problem when running pharo from windows user with
> russian letters in login.
> >> Debugger opened in SecurityManager stuff during image startUp
> procedure.
> >> I ask in past why pharo/squeak doing SecurityManager logic. But
> without explanation.
> >
> > It's hard to tell with that as the only info.
> >
> > F.ex:
> > If you're using Cog, it's because it doesn't convert encoding, but
> returns your codepage-encoded bytestring.
> > If you're using Non-Cog, it's either because you
> >        a) use a Locale in Pharo with non-UTF8 systemConverterClass.
> SecurityPlugin on Windows always returns utf8 strings.
> >        b) Use Unicode characters in your name  that have have no
> representation in your local codepage.
> >        SecurityPlugin uses the non-W api function to get your
> username, then does codepage -> UTF8 conversion, instead of using the W
> version and doing UTF16 -> UTF8 conversion.
> >

> Henrik, it would be good if you can help with fixing this in Cog..
>

> > Cheers,
> > Henry
> >

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Trunk also includes lots of code for storing the secure directories etc. in
the Windows registry.
Reviewing/Rewriting/Removing the code for a proposal of something that could
be included in a merge of cog/trunk takes longer than I'd like, especially
with limited time and lots of other balls in the air.

I've yet to actually try and compile it, to put it that way :)

Cheers,
Henry