[Vm-dev] what to do with old carbon based plugins?

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 18:19:59 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 03:07:15PM -0300, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> yes... I was building those plugins for you :)
> the problem with "carbon" is that it is a legacy library for osx, and it will be discontinued some time soon (now you have to use "cocoa").
> Right now, I'm having a bunch of "deprecated" warnings, but I'm afraid in next version of osx (lion), maybe carbon will not be ready (not that they said something, it is just my fear).
> Also, for compatibility reasons, is not good to keep "carbon" plugins into a "cocoa" vm.
> So... the "keep all as is" is not an option. I can keep the plugins for awhile, but they need to be rewritten using cocoa sometime soon. Of course, I can help there, but with my time and knowledge limitations :)
>
> Finally, the new vms and plugins are been built in pharo hudson server http://ci.pharo-project,org... you can test all Cocoa Cog X projects :)

I only see cog and stack vm's on hudson. I'm havn't been able to
test vm's recently if the showstopper bug in cog is fixed yet:
http://code.google.com/p/cog/issues/detail?id=3

I have noticed a lot of discussion about the ffi plugin, so
maybe opengl will work on cog again. I'll try to test

--
Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)