[Vm-dev] Error compiling Cog.

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 14:51:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 March 2011 16:00, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
> marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> because it has versions of VMMaker that doesnt match with the latest in
> git. So, if today you load the latest from git, and using 1.3, you cannot
> compile
> >>

> > What I mean is that there could have been changes in the "platform" code,
> which is in git, and that the VMMaker expect those changes. If you load the
> last platform code from git, it has those changes. But if you load an old
> version of VMMaker, then it expects "older" platform code.
> >

> Exactly.
> And LoadVMMaker.st script placed there exactly for eliminating the
> problems when you unable to determine which VMMaker version works with
> given sources snapshot.

WOW. That's awesome. I didn't know about that.

Last thing...instead of havign to load an specific version of CMake by
hand....why not integrate such package under ConfigurationOfCog ?   if you
don't want  to put it in the default group, no problem, but at lesat you can
define a new group like 'VMakerWithCmake' so that we can do:

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfCog) project
    version: '1.5') load: 'VMakerWithCmake'.

and that's all :)

Another idea is to put in the #description of each version of
ConfigurationOfCog, which is the expected version of git to work. I used to
do this wtih SVN and ConfogurationOfVMMaker.
this way we can map from the other side ;)
even more...in the description you can directlty put which sohuld be the git
command.

cheers

Mariano