[Vm-dev] Missing checks for some libraries

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon May 2 09:55:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm following Mariano's instructions on how to build a VM on GNU/Linux
> (using git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git and
>
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/building-the-vm-from-scratch-using-git-and-cmakevmmaker/
> ).
>
> It looks like some library verifications are missing before the
> compilation. For example, after typing make, I had the following
> error:
>
>   Linking C shared library /home/.../blessed/results/vm-display-null
>   /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
>
> To solve that I had to install libgl1-mesa-dev (for Ubuntu).

yes, I have that problem too. I guess you read the config class with NoGL
and the discussions in the VM

> Then I got
>
>   /home/.../blessed/platforms/unix/vm-sound-ALSA/sqUnixSoundALSA.c:34:28:
> fatal error: alsa/asoundlib.h: No such file or directory

I didn't have this one.

> That I solved by installing libasound2-dev (for Ubuntu).
>
> Wouldn't it be possible that the build process displays the missing
> dependencies before I have to run make?

Yes, maybe. But what do you gain?  there is 1 minute of difference between
the build (the cmake .) and the make. Sooner or later something will fail
and you will need to install the dependencies.
For me, what it would be better is to DOCUMENT which are the needed
decencies/packages.
In fact, I would love to provide a script doing all necessary sudo apt-get
to get all you need (and the same for others distros than Debian/Ubuntu). In
Mac there is no problem because with the 4gb Xcode you have all the libs.

Cheers

Mariano

--
Mariano