[Vm-dev] Integer comparition primitive failures on Cog

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed May 4 11:19:48 UTC 2011

On 4 May 2011 09:47, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:

> As always, engineers will give you negative feedback, especially when
> specialized in system control ;)
> So I want to rectify the impression I may have given and thank Eliot
> and Teleplace for this work.
> Locating and changing the code was possible relatively quickly (1h),
> even fixing my own bugs (1h30) thanks to immediate VM crash ;).
> IMO this was possible thanks to Smalltalk IDE, and I would not bet on
> such efficiency for modifying a C/C++ VM.
> I consider this exercize as a proof of concept.
> But maybe I'm biased by too many years of Smalltalk, some other folks
> should try and fix such little details to confirm.

You're just confirmed my previous observations about coding VM in
smalltalk (when i were hacking Hydra).
Yes, it is quite special area, but it is still relatively easy to get
in, play with it and get results,
without spending weeks studying APIs and classes before you even
attempt to solve something.
This is why i love smalltalk: it allows you to do magics without too
deep knowledge of everything.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.