[Vm-dev] Linux browser plugin

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez jredrejo at edu.juntaextremadura.net
Sun May 8 09:33:30 UTC 2011

El lun, 10-05-2010 a las 22:14 -0700, Bert Freudenberg escribió:
> Hi Ian, I finally got to wrap my head around CMake to make the web browser plugin compile again under Linux. Attached my results, untar into platforms/unix of svn 2205 (btw, platforms/Cross as of 2203 won't compile, b/c of Alien apparently). I adapted the scripts a bit, and updated the documentation, but mainly it's the dozen lines in npsqueak/CMakeLists.txt that makes this work ... the plugin itself is unchanged since 2005. I must say I'm beginning to like CMake, though it's tough to get started. To test after make install run npsqueakregister, and symlink an Etoys image (e.g. from squeakland.org's etoys-to-go) into ~/.npsqueak/SqueakPlugin.image or /usr/local/lib/squeak/SqueakPlugin.image and then go to squeakland.org/showcase in your web browser. I don't have an idea yet how to modify this so that Etoys could use different folders (e.g. not ~/.npsqueak but ~/.etoys, and similarly for the user dir). The best would be to run "etoys" instead of "squeak" but I don't know how to configure npsqueakrun to do that (besides, the current etoys script would stumble over the browserPipes argument ...) On a slightly unrelated note, could we automatically enable -xshm in the squeak script, if it is available? I included yet another fix for realpath() and the debug output, but don't know how to check for xshm. - Bert -

Hello Bert, I know it's a long time since you sent this email, but I'm
trying now to compile the browser plugin and I'm not able to do it.
Also, in the compiled vm Ian Piumarta published last January
( http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.4.7.2357-linux_i386.tar.gz )
the plugin is not compiled either, so it looks like something is still
missing in the vm sources.

Regards.
José L.