.. and evolving object format(s) (Was: Re: [Vm-dev] #becomeUncompact not longer works in Cog/Stack VMs)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon May 9 19:22:30 UTC 2011

On 9 May 2011 15:25, Gerardo Richarte <gera at corest.com> wrote:

> On 05/09/2011 04:06 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> There of course many ways how to use extra bits freed in header: how
>> about supporting multiple/segregated memory regions for heap?
> why do you need a flag to tell in which region the object lives?
> isn't its memory address/oop enough to say it?

I don't know, but probably you are right.
I imagine a memory manager which dynamically allocates a memory (and
address space) by chunks
per region type.
And to get a region (or page info), it should go to: (oop bitAnd: (4
Mb -1) bitInvert ),
where oop is any object which belongs to given page.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.