[Vm-dev] debuggable win32 VM?

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Wed May 11 13:50:34 UTC 2011

On 11.05.2011 15:39, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 11 May 2011 15:32, Henrik Sperre Johansen
> <henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no>  wrote:
>> On 11.05.2011 14:59, Craig Latta wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi--
>>>
>>>       For the next Spoon release I want debuggable VMs and plugins on all
>>> platforms. In 2007 for win32 I created a Microsoft Visual C "solution"
>>> for use with the free MSVC Express Edition (2008 or later). The debugger
>>> is decent.
>>>
>>>       I scanned the current CMake-based stuff, but didn't see anything
>>> about MSVC (or win32 gdb for that matter). Is there a current route for
>>> debugging the win32 VM using MSVC or gdb (or anything more pleasant than
>>> printf)? Or should I update my MSVC stuff and contribute it somewhere?
>>> In 2007 I only gave it to Andreas (the win32 VM maintainer) and a few
>>> other folks who asked for it.
>>>

>>>       thanks!
>>>
>>> -C
>> FWIW, I'd really like it too if (not sure if it's already the case) cmake -G
>> "Visual Studio X YYYY" worked out of the box :)
>> Probably a more durable approach to spend effort there if it's not the case,
>> than make a new/update a project every once in a while.
>>
> So, wanna try it out?
> For this you need to create a subclass of CogWindowsConfig and
> override few methods which are responsible for compiler flags
> and probably include directories for standard include files, like
> windows.h and directx etc.
> And you done. :)
No time, as usual :/
Not to mention having to dilly-dally around to correctly set up an
environment is about my least favourite activity on earth.
To the point that every time I change computer, I practically stop doing
any programming but smalltalk for as long as possible.
Worked for the last 7 months now, actually :)

Cheers,
Henry