[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] [Ann] Ephemerons for Cog

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue May 24 16:09:49 UTC 2011

On 24 May 2011 16:58, Javier Burroni <javier.burroni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Igor,
> It's great you have implemented Ephemerons. I'll take a look to the code asap.
>
> I've sent the following mail to the VSWE-L list like a month ago. It
> may (or may not) be useful for you
> saludos
> jb

The mail you posted is hard to follow for me, because
i don't really understand what 'rescued ephemeron' means.
Is it the one who initially seen without its key being marked, but
then after full graph traversal
has it key marked?

The ephemerons extension to GC are quite simple (it explains why it
took me 1 day to get initial implementation working).

The only implication of ephemerons,
that you need to fulfill is that you mark all reachable objects before
analyzing ephemerons queue.
And during analysis you have to make sure that again, you are marking
all reachable objects
discovered through ephemerons, whose keys are marked.
If you obey the above rules, then there's not much to fear about. It
will just work :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.