[Vm-dev] Re: Having trouble with 4.2 on Linux

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Wed May 25 08:35:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, 24 May 2011, Ken Causey wrote:

snip

> testRand instance method.  However as soon as I finished typing
> '<cdecl:' I started getting debuggers popping up for every keypress
> related to parsing, I suspect having to do with Shout.  Yet I check the
> preferences and under Browsing Shout and syntaxHighlightingAsYouType
> (going from memory) are not enabled.  But in fact the syntax is being
> colored as I type.  I can't figure out how to stop it.  So I just type

I fixed this bug in the Trunk a few weeks ago. It was present in Shout
since 2004 or so, but probably the error was simply ignored by some other
part of the system.

> away and ignore the debuggers resulting in
>
> testRand
>   "Test rand"
>   <cdecl: int 'rand' ()>
>   ^self externalCallFailed
>
> and I try to accept that but it will not accept it insisting that there
> should be a return call type in the cdecl line even though I think I've
> typed one in there.  I also tried <cdecl: int 'rand' (void)> as I'm not
> sure which if either of these is correct, but the same result happens in
> both cases.

The error message is correct, you should specify the return type as long.
There's no int type in FFI, probably because it's ambiguous (even in C)
and unnecessary.

Levente