[Vm-dev] Stupidifying FFI/library loading mechanism

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri May 27 10:52:23 UTC 2011

On 5/27/2011 12:40, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> On 27 May 2011 10:53, Andreas Raab<andreas.raab at gmx.de>  wrote:
>> However, a big -1 on the idea of a "dumb" FFI loading function if by "dumb"
>> we mean it to ignore the standard system paths on the platform
>> (LD_LIBRARY_PATH and friends). The whole idea of these is to provide
>> executable with the proper information to find those modules; why on earth
>> would we ignore the information that is specifically provided for that
>> purpose?
> who said that you will ignore it? I said that VM should expose all
> useful paths to language side
> and it should be up to language side, where to look for library.
> But not magically like it doing now.

Then perhaps you can clarify what you mean by "I think we should trash
too clever intrinsic library lookup mechanism and provide a simple
primitive, which attempts to load a library by given file name & path ".
To me, this sounded as if you want to deliberately abandon implicit
search paths on the platforms. If not, then I don't understand what is
different compared with today (other than having better failure
information with which I agree).

Cheers,
   - Andreas