[Vm-dev] Stupidifying FFI/library loading mechanism

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:01:33 UTC 2011

On 27 May 2011 12:52, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 5/27/2011 12:40, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> On 27 May 2011 10:53, Andreas Raab<andreas.raab at gmx.de>  wrote:
>>>
>>> However, a big -1 on the idea of a "dumb" FFI loading function if by
>>> "dumb"
>>> we mean it to ignore the standard system paths on the platform
>>> (LD_LIBRARY_PATH and friends). The whole idea of these is to provide
>>> executable with the proper information to find those modules; why on
>>> earth
>>> would we ignore the information that is specifically provided for that
>>> purpose?
>>
>> who said that you will ignore it? I said that VM should expose all
>> useful paths to language side
>> and it should be up to language side, where to look for library.
>> But not magically like it doing now.
>
> Then perhaps you can clarify what you mean by "I think we should trash too
> clever intrinsic library lookup mechanism and provide a simple primitive,
> which attempts to load a library by given file name & path ". To me, this
> sounded as if you want to deliberately abandon implicit search paths on the
> platforms. If not, then I don't understand what is different compared with
> today (other than having better failure information with which I agree).

Clarification:
if search is implicitly managed by platform, then there's no problem.
(and actually you cannot trash this logic since it sits in platform
functions, and VM have to use these functions anyway).
But VM should not add its own implicit logic in addition to what
provided by platform.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.