[Vm-dev] Re: FYI, Spoon simulates on Mac/win32/Linux

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sun May 29 18:21:31 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

> Hi Mariano--
>
> > What do you exactly mean by support for proxies?
>
>      That's support for a special class, "Other". Each Other corresponds
> to an object in another object memory, with a network stream connected
> to that memory and an object ID. When a message is sent to an Other, the
> VM turns it into a remote message to the original object, using a
> mechanism similar to the creation of the doesNotUnderstand: message, in
> the method lookup logic.

Ok. I understand. Do you do something in #lookupMethodInClass:  that checks
that the current class is Other. To do that you use  objectMemory splObj:
OtherClass
and you put Other in the special object array ?
Then if that's true, you fetch the instVar for network stream + ID (you
assume the instVars offsets),  and you forward the message to the original
object?

>     There are also a few other changes to ensure that all other
> messages sent to Others are forwarded ("class", etc.). You had asked
> about some of these when you were thinking about proxies,

yep, I remember :)

> and I
> mentioned my stuff at the time.

uhhhh I don't remember :(