[Vm-dev] Add argvec and envec to sqVirtualMachine.[ch]? (was: FT2Plugin stops working with latest version)

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 14:52:49 UTC 2011

well... my opinion:

1) I more or less agree with Igor: I don't think to expose everything to every plugin around is good. But I can be wrong... this is just an opinion and is *against* the smalltalk principles, in particular the "absolute openess, so you can make your system as you want"... the problems is that if we open everything, in mid time it will be hard to maintain... so... we have a problem here.
2) I do not like OSProcess plugin living inside the vm, as an internal plugin, just because "why not others, then"? also... if you want to break the API (by using whatever you want...), you just need to make your plugin "internal", and that's it... no more restrictions... and the same problem for maintaining in the future.
3) I think best solution is to re-think which functions are going to be visible... I agree with Dave we need to expose argv (and argc)... why? because I can think on plugins who need some "configuration".

So, my two cents, in short term: I would expose argc and argv through exported functions and adapt OSProcess plugin to use it (I think that's the only problem with OSProcess... maybe some other functions.

best,
Esteban

pd: Dave, please, please... if you have 5', can you see the BytesPerWord problem?