[Vm-dev] FT2Plugin stops working with latest version (was: Add argvec and envec to sqVirtualMachine.[ch]? (was: FT2Plugin stops working with latest version))

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Oct 6 01:19:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 05:22:40PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 5 October 2011 17:18, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 11:52:49AM -0300, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> >>
> >> pd: Dave, please, please... if you have 5', can you see the BytesPerWord problem?
> >
> > I am traveling a lot right now but I will try. I looked at it a briefly
> > a couple of days ago and got myself confused :/
> >
> > Igor, perhaps you can confirm - when you build a Cog VM with FreeTypePlugin,
> > and when the plugin source code is using BytesPerWord (defined elsewhere,
> > I don't remember where at the moment), you were able to get a working
> > FreeTypePlugin, right? So if the code generator is producing "BytesPerWord"
> > in the plugin source, it should be working? Sorry for my confusion,
> > but I did not have time to retrace my earlier steps from building a Cog
> > VM to test compiling the plugin, so I can't check this right now (and
> > maybe I made a mistake when I was looking at it earlier).
> >

> Everything was working before you added the change for bytesPerWord method :D
> I don't know what is the problem right now, (i thought we're fixed it
> after discussing few weeks ago..) because i am not working on VM
> builds right now.
> So, Esteban, it is your call :D

OK, back to Esteban's original question about getting FreetypePlugin working.

I said earlier that I had built and tested a FreetypePlugin on Cog, but
this is wrong. The plugin compiled successfully, and in loaded into my
Squeak image when I tried it (based on 'Smalltalk listLoadedModules'), so
I thought that it was working. However, the build process that I used was
the the original unix/config/configure process, and this apparently is not
working correctly for FreetypePlugin (the actual FT2Plugin.c code is not
included in the build).

Therefore - I cannot confirm that this works on Cog. All I can say for
sure is that the code generator changes that I provided produce the
"BytesPerWord" output that would normally be used in the oscog branch,
which would be the same as the code that apparently originally worked
when Igor built a Cog VM prior to these changes.

Igor, whenever you next build some VMs, can you please check and see
if the FreetypePlugin is running correctly (not just loading, but
actually doing something)? If so, there must be something different
in your build procedure compared to what Esteban is doing.

Thanks,