[Vm-dev] Add argvec and envec to sqVirtualMachine.[ch]? (was: FT2Plugin stops working with latest version)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Oct 7 19:07:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 05:55:00PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 7 October 2011 16:18, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> >> Why? Why keeping workarounds?
> >
> > Because for OSProcessPlugin I choose to maintain a certain level of
> > backward compatibity and support for as many different VM projects
> > as possible.
> >

> You lost me here.
> VM is evolving, things keep changing. Can you tell me any of the
> reason for keeping a freshly-built
> plugin to be compatible with 10-years old VMs?
> One could always use older version(s) of plugin which works with that
> VMs.. so, what is the problem?
>
> Can you explain me , what is the benefits from staying compatible with
> dusty systems which, most probably,
> are used by 1% of users (if any)?
>
> IMO, the purpose of plugin subsystem should be to serve as a way to
> customize the VM(s) for various kinds of distributions, but not as a
> way
> to ensure that something which was working 10 years ago, will keep
> working today without any changes.

It's about modularity. I maintain the three plugins for OSProcess as separate
packages independent of any version of VMMaker. As with any such problem, maintaining
the integrity os interfaces is the key to success.

I also care about the people who might use these packages, and often I do not even
know who they are.  If someone in Japan or China or a researcher at a university
wants to build a VM with whatever flavor of Squeak or VMMaker, I want my packages
to work without problems.

I also am lazy. I find that a little time and effort making sure the interfaces
work saves a lot of my time later on. If I don't break something, I don't have
to waste time later on explaining why it does not work. That is the same reason
I write lots of tests and comments. It just saves a lot of time and excuses later
on.

That is the approach I have taken, and it has worked well for me so far.