[Vm-dev] CogDroid Status Update

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:06:12 UTC 2011

Hi,

I would like to update the Squeak/Pharo community on the CogDroid
development status, summarize the changes made since the first public
alpha release, and discuss further directions of the development.

I have uploaded two new alpha release packages:

for ARM devices:
http://squeakvm-tablet.googlecode.com/files/CogDroid-alpha-20111009.apk

for Android-x86:
http://squeakvm-tablet.googlecode.com/files/CogDroid86-alpha-20111010.apk

I have created a wiki page [1] which summarizes the changes made to
CogDroid since the first public alpha release.

Briefly, these changes are:

 - Partial integration with Android intent system, so CogDroid can be
launched with a specified Smalltalk image file and a startup script by
tapping a home screen shortcut icon. Such icons can be created from
Smalltalk code running in CogDroid. See also [2] for technical
details.

 - Added build for the x86 Android platform. Android-x86 can run on
Intel-compatible CPUs in desktops and netbooks, and also in virtual
machines.

 - Using a PC with physical keyboard and mouse attached brings some
benefits in terms of user input, so functionality was added to support
special keys such as Ctrl- and Shift- modifiers, and also arrow and
home/end keys. This may be also of use on ARM tablets with keyboard
and mouse attached, or on dockable phones. I am unable to test this
myself, but your feedback is always welcome.

At this moment, I am going to change the direction of my efforts
towards deeper studying of Android itself, which may give me some
ideas how to integrate CogDroid better with Android services (e. g.
sound interface is an open question, but I need to study more, whether
OSS/ALSA is available under the hood, or some Java wrapper is needed).

This means that for some time I will be pushing updates less
frequently, except for bugs and critical issues, if reported. OTOH
this is a better time to integrate my developer's branch with the
mainline. So, Igor and Eliot please contact me to discuss the
technical moments.

I would like to thank the whole Squeak/Pharo community for helping me
with the development and testing. The Benchmark page [3] is a source
of information people may find helpful choosing an Android device to
run CogDroid on.

Your feedback is always welcome. Please add your comments to the Alpha
Progress page [1], including your ideas of Android applications that
might be created with CogDroid, and what functionality you think needs
to be added.

Thanks again, and hope to hear from you!

[1] http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/wiki/CogDroidAlphaProgress
[2] http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/wiki/CogDroidIntentsAndShortcuts
[3] http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/wiki/TinyBenchmark

--